We remained here for the whole day and overnight, and on Friday the 3 of September, and at 5 o’clock in the morning, once again sailed on toward the south-west through the Sulu sea toward Jolo, on Jolo Island. At 2 o’clock in the afternoon, we noticed an island and soon the city of Jolo, our new stop, our new home, to which the eyes of all were turned in interest. The wish of us all was that after this long and arduous journey we could once again step on dry land, to the place where fate had brought us for a period of two years.
At 3 o’clock in the afternoon on September 3rd, the Buford dropped anchor next to a jetty built by the Spaniards that reached quite far into the sea, and soon after this we disembarked and stepped on new soil, far from home. Battalion number 1 stayed in the town, our battalion, no.2, was posted outside the city at a former Spanish fort, where the 23rd Infantry soldiers were also stationed. When we marched up to the barracks they had been waiting at the doors for us since morning, and as soon as we arrived they marched off to the steamboat that was to take them to their next station. There was an inscription over the gateway of our barracks: “Raducto Princesa Asturias ano de,” and underneath this in the English language: “Rebuilt Dec. 1906 Brig General Bliss Candy Dep., Col. Steever, Commdg Jolo.” We had the first excellent supper with the York cannoneers in the vicinity of our barracks and, after having swiftly stored our things in order, went and had an excellent night’s sleep and a good rest, though a greater number of soldiers were on guard.